If an Indian tribe, worked through each of the bureaucratic process while using Bureau of Indian Affairs and can build an internet casino in downtown Enid, will you be for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos round the state, you probably run into other folks you know from Enid, partaking within the recreation provided by the casinos. These are the same people who have left our town and they are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping in the stores, eating with the restaurants, and staying with the hotels within the area.
A brief history:
The ability to run bingo games was among the numerous concessions made to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person designed a bingo game that looked like a video slot. We supply seen the little digital bingo card at the top corner with the display screen of the slot machine. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos did start to spring up everywhere. After all, you were still playing bingo, just inside a new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact relating to the tribes and also the State of Oklahoma allowed the usage of Vegas style slots, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and casinos were built and therefore are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino could only be built within historic tribal boundaries and then placed in the trust with all the U.S. government. Since Enid does not have any casino, would be that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it had been found, that ahead of the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part in the Cherokee Outlet, occupied by the Cherokee people following the Treaty of New Echota and the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the spot was a hunting ground from the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us to within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive facets of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are come to operate tribal governments and programs for the citizens. In addition, a portion in the revenue is split while using State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes utilize revenues to improve infrastructure.
3. Related sightseeing attractions are built.
4. Jobs are set up.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons found out that over 80 percent with the visitors to casinos were thinking about also doing something besides gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions for example family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian people.
10. Casinos give you a magnet for outside money that didn't previously exist.
11. Local resident who used to travel outside in the area now stays within the spot.
12. More construction jobs are manufactured building casinos.
13. Gambling is definitely an accepted way for governments to boost funds. It is seen as a source of money which is easier to obtain because it is not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities the following businesses showed an boost in profits, attendance, and customers after a casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more frequently
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative aspects of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge on what well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes an addiction.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time spent on useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour huge amounts of money into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes are also influencing gambling as well as other read more policies affecting Native Americans by handing a large amount to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there is an increase inside the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is called an action addiction. When gambling, the endocrine system, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more frequently, it results in tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, so that it takes more gambling and higher stakes, to find the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine gambling lights up the human brain exactly as cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an internet casino were to petition arrive at downtown Enid, what might be your opinion? Do you think it could enhance our community or bring social problems natural meats not want to deal with?